Welcome to the website of the 73RD Annual Plains Anthropological Conference, to be held at Sheraton Iowa City in downtown Iowa City, Iowa,
About our logo: The logo is an adaptation of a bison incised into a large catlinite tablet. The tablet was recovered from the Blood Run/Rock Island National Historic Landmark site (13LO2/39LN2) which is located on both sides of the Big Sioux River near Sioux Falls, SD. The immense site, with both late prehistoric and protohistoric Oneota tradition villages and mound groups, is generally identified with the ancestral Omaha/Ponca with much evidence of ancestral Ioway/Oto residence as well. Incised tablets from Blood Run bear motifs including bison, small mammals, birds, bird men, arrows, and various stylized elements, sometimes superimposed on both sides of the same tablet. Ethnographic accounts suggest that these tablets may have functioned in hunting magic.
NEW at this year's conference!
- Special tribute and memorial in honor of Donna Roper
- Iowa Archeological Society (IAS) meeting and special symposium (Saturday only) with special one-day registration for non-professional IAS members
- International Archaeology Day events and activities (Saturday only) sponsored by the Iowa City Chapter of the Archaeological Institute of America
- Student Poster Competition (CLOSED)
- Student Workshop: Professional Behavior, Networking, and Finding a Mentor (CLOSED) (sponsored by Cooley Auto Sales)
For questions or additional information please contact the conference co-chairs: